TS Grale`s Construction and Infrastructure Practice have been retained to deliver a search for a Vice President Roads and Bridge Engineering on behalf of a respected Engineering, Design and Architecture Consulting Firm in New York.
Our Client is looking to expand their Transportation practice in the New York area through the provision of design and engineering projects focused on roads and bridges. This person will be an experienced and motivated individual, based in New York, to help develop and lead the department consisting of a team of professional engineers that provide architecture, planning, design, engineering, inspection, and construction administration services.
Responsible for business development and pursuing new opportunities to significantly grow the department through winning more roadway and bridge projects and increasing the company’s market share in the region through working with city, state and regional transportation clients and acting as project manager in the delivery and oversight of these projects. Supported by existing resources from there New York and regional offices that include some of North America’s leading technical experts uniquely qualified and proficient in bridge design including load rating, deck analysis, structural studies, plans and contract drawings. The intent is that you will eventually build a fully self-contained roadway and bridge transportation group in New York which shares resources with other offices.
- Client development and liaison, able to guide clients who may not have experience in implementing roadway and bridge improvement projects.
- Lead and direct business development activities in New York and the surrounding area for bridge and roadway projects including preparation of proposals, contract negotiations and statement of qualifications.
- Act as Project Manager and lead technical delivery in design, inspection and analysis of various transportation projects that include replacement, rehabilitation and reconstruction and traffic impact studies, corridor analysis and community master plans for roadway and bridge projects from preliminary design through to final design.
- Collaborate and coordinate between other internal design disciplines, management of projects schedule and budget.
- Responsible for the department’s performance, ensuring revenue and profit targets are achieved.
- Grow the department through recruitment of key hires with a commitment to mentoring and developing junior colleagues to strengthen the experience and capabilities of the team.
- Lead quarterly reviews and participation in the management of the transportation team.
Qualifications and Experience required
- Degree educated in Civil Engineering, ideally with a focus on transportation from an accredited University. Professional Registered Engineer in New York.
- A minimum of 20 years of progressive technical and leadership experience of roads and bridge engineering and project management.
- Experienced in all facets of planning, design and construction services for roads, highways and Interchanges, streets and intersections, traffic impact studies, traffic signals, bridges, access management, and bridge inspection.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills. An interest in business development and growing a transportation practice, writing proposals, and leading client presentations/meetings.
- Experienced, with a proven track record working with the NYCDOT, NYSDOT, NYSTA, NYCDDC and MTA.
- Ability to develop effective and trustworthy long-term relationships with clients, colleagues, and other stakeholders in the transportation industry.
- Effective problem solving, time management, and decision-making skills, in a teamwork and multiple projects context.